Monday 18 October 2010

Manuela the already existing barrel player...



My name is Manuela, I am part of this blog and I am going to berlin with a barrel music box to create a composition that responds to the city´s architecture. I am from Mexico, but study in Scotland.
In 1884 the tradition of the organ barrel was introduced to Mexico by an Italian. Barrel´s are originally from Germany.
There are 40 organs from Berlin in Mexico, and the majority of them get rented. There are only around 100 Barrel players still practicing the tradition in Mexico and the majority are in Mexico City, where I am from.

My name is Manuela, I am an ambassador of a very special kind.
I discovered barrel organs through a friend eleven years ago in Berlin.
Got myself a second hand one.... and now...:
http://www.berolinchen.de/en/chicago.htm

We also had the chance to go to Chicago.!
Coincidences don´t exist.
m

No comments:

Post a Comment